BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, May 17, 2010

Reflections from Dumars Discussion

I don't even know how to begin with my thoughts....

First, Dumars was brilliant. He held my attention the whole time. What a great speaker.

1. I did not know what "Viral Videos" were. I really had no idea it was that big of a deal.
2. I loved all of the videos he knew about. Watching them and having him apply them to our discussion was really cool. My favorite one was probably the happiness machine (http://www.tinyurl.com/happycoke).
3. Coke is really smart for Exposition 206. The publicity they are going to get is really going to further there company.
4. I had no idea how much thought went into online communities. It never occurred to me that companies could be destroyed by their online stuff. I liked Dumars principles about online sites/communities that represent companies:
A. Listen.
B. Respond to consumers and let them know you heard them.
C.
Act. What will you do to respond to them?
5. I didn't know that the bigger the webpage, the more money (value) it has. Apparently each "friend or follow" is equivalent to $2....I need more friends.
6. Three Wolf Moon T-shirt. Enough said.
7. I don't feel like I would be good in this field as a profession. I would not be able to find the "niche" for certain companies. The idea that different companies would need different internet/knowledge community access flips my mind.
8. The more personal you can be with your costomers, the more success your company will have. Social media allows for this connection to occur more easily. Face to face is obviously more ideal, but not always practical/easy. Graco does a great job at this. They know exactly who to target-mommies-and they do a great job with keeping them informed.
9. Often times I forget that the internet (even blogs) has to follow certain liability laws. Dumars told us that Graco has to monitor the instructional videos that are posted online. Even if person is correctly instructing, if they make one mistake, Graco could be liable. So...no instruction videos...or Graco could be liable...never knew that. Doesn't seem fair to Graco.
10. Social media is about word of mouth, just electronically. Word of mouth is the most important way of spreading an idea...at least in my opinion.
11. @GingerCM tweeted
"26 percent of the world's population has access to the Internet. Mostly through mobile. #SMPM" This blows my mind. The entire world is giong to have access to the rest of the world. Crazy.
12. Ted videos is a great way to stay up-to-date with technology and where our social world is headed to next...

0 comments: